Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Internship @ MOSAIC THEATRE (Week 1)

Hey!
So, during this summer, I will be interning at a non-profit theatre company in Plantation, FL called MOSAIC THEATRE.


(HERE'S THE THEATRE'S WEBSITE)


http://www.mosaictheatre.com/


The theatre's Executive/Artistic Director, my boss, is Richard Jay Simon, and the Associate Director, my other boss, is Jon Saldivar; with the collaboration of a great casts and crews, both have turned Mosaic Theatre into one of the most entertaining and professional theatre company's in the state of Florida. So naturally, I was very nervous at first to join the team as I knew little of what I would be doing. I signed up for an acting internship, but I knew I would need to work my way up in the company and begin with the little jobs.

The office needed a third hand dealing with SUBSCRIBERS and TICKET RESERVATION CALLS, so they started me off with that. I learned to pick up the phones and fill out the information the customer would tell me over the phone, on the correct form. They also started me on helping organizing the chairs in the theatre and driving around Fort Lauderdale, with a list of locations, placing flyers in different businesses to help spread the word about their fifth and final show of the season, The Edge of Our Bodies, starring Lexi Langs.

Therefore, the first few days of the first week were overwhelming but nice as I had a lot to learn, and quick, but Richard and Jon were more than nice and happy to show me the ropes. Nevertheless, apparently I did a nice job those first few days and really impressed them when they asked to take over the nights shifts as BOX OFFICE for the duration of the play.
I obviously said yes as I knew this would be a great opportunity for me to get closer to the real deal.

For the rest of that first week, I attended the nights shifts and basically shadowed the current BOX OFFICE director, surprisingly Mrs. Simon, so that I could learn how to run it on my own.

I'm not gonna lie, it's a bit tough having to work during the night and have work everyday of the week and weekend, except tuesdays, but it's already starting to become such a great experience. As BOX OFFICE operator, I'm learning so much about the little things that people didn't know about running a theatre. I'm learning about the importance of starting the shows on time and the importance of dealing with customers and arranging their tickets and seats. I even learn about the ushers and how they help keep order in the theatre itself. I have to keep track of who's seats are who's, make sure they've paid and if not then charge them, make sure to inform them about future events and remembering to subscribe for the following season, making sure the paper work is filed correctly and goes through smoothly, and mainly working with crowds…of old people as well…who can't really hear much haha. It all requires a lot of patience I guess.

Working at a theatre is about organization, all with a greater cause… ART!! THE ART OF ACTING!!

I can successfully say that I really enjoyed my first week working at Mosaic Theatre.
Hopefully this following week 2 will have more positive things in store for me :).

I definitely recommend to all other aspiring actors/actress to Intern for a theatre company and learn about the backbone of the theatre and the play. Plus, you get to meet a lot of important people and isn't acting all about being in the right place at the right time? ;)


Happy Acting
Gracias





No comments:

Post a Comment