Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Internship @ MOSAIC THEATRE (Week 6)

During week 6 it was essential for Mosaic to start sending 'Thank You' letters to those patrons who had already subscribed for the upcoming 12th Season at Mosaic Theatre, and more importantly to send reminders to those previous patron/subscribers who had yet to subscribe. Therefore, that was my job for the entire week.

I made two spread-sheets divided between those who had already subscribed for Season 12 and those who had not yet done so. Afterwords, I checked each patron to make sure that all of their mailing and other details were up-to-date and correct. This would not only make the labeling process easier, but also serve as an efficient way to verify that all patrons were contacted, leaving no one out. This job was not as easy as it first looked like. I had to go back and forth between the spread-sheets and the files in the cabinet to make sure all the information matched perfectly. Most of the patron's spouses also had separate files and information along the spread-sheets, and since their mailing address was identical, I had to search for them and match them up together in order to send their letter together.

Nonetheless, this process took an entire work day, and the next two days in week 6 would be dedicated to making labels for all the letters, printing them out, sticking them to the envelopes -whilst keeping them in alphabetical order- stuffing the envelopes with all of the required pages of information, sealing them, stamping them, and finally sending the letters off. There was approximately a little over 350 letters to send, so you can only imagine how this repetitive process can not only take a long time, but also wear someone out. Nevertheless, it's the hard work a company must undergo in order to reach a healthy number of audiences for each play, as well as a relatively high quota.

This was obviously not the most interesting project I've been given in my Internship, but somehow I ended up really liking it because I gained experience working with Microsoft Excel -putting to test all of what my teachers at Lynn taught me about using the program- and I also learned valuable techniques on how to keep information in order.

More so, I come to understand the importance of keeping constant contact with any patron that comes to see the shows. The more Mosaic appears to have control, organization and initiative, the more people will be drawn to the theater's professionalism.

Happy Acting,
Gracias

  


No comments:

Post a Comment